12/23/13: Added OGG, MP3, and FLAC music packs for Doom/Ultimate Doom! Supports metadata loop point tags for seamless looping tracks! Tracks fade out when playing back in a music player. Pack built for ZDoom/GZDoom.
09/23/13: The Duke3D V4.0 OGG music pack has been included officially as part of Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition on Steam! Complete with seamles loop points and fadeouts for playback outside of the game. Megaton also includes the three expansion packs not previously available in stores since over a decade ago (as well as my soundtracks for those as well)! Go grab it now if you don't already have it!
07/14/13: Duke3D V4.0 OGG music pack finally released! Added loop point metadata tags for EDuke32. Tracks fade out outside of game for general listening playback. Also compressed the audio data and boosted the volume levels so it sounds louder now in game. MP3 and FLAC packs coming soon!
01/13/13: Music packs restored. Loop-compatible and louder Duke3D soundtrack V4.0 coming soon.
12/15/12: Due to the website being compromised, it's had to be wiped so all music packs are currently unavailable, but I will get them back online ASAP.
11/24/12: With the advent of loop point capability in the new EDuke32, the Duke3D files will be rerecorded and set to allow for loop points in-game, while the files themselves will be listenable outside of the game normally, without the abrupt end loop points!
02/15/12: Added V3.0 of Duke3D Soundtrack in OGG, MP3, and FLAC! Redesigned site a little.
02/13/12: Added FLAC music pack for Descent I.
09/02/10: Revised History Of PC Game Music section.
09/01/10: Added OGG, MP3, and FLAC downloads for "Whomp Beta".
Doom/Ultimate Doom SC-55 Soundtrack Uploaded!
Not quite in time for the 20th anniversary, but just in time for Christmas! I've finally put together OGG, MP3, and FLAC music packs for Doom (also works with Ultimate Doom). It's set up to work with ZDoom/GZDoom by default because it supports metadata loop point tags so you can enjoy seamless loops just like the Duke3D V4.0 soundtrack. Enjoy! Also coming down the line are Doom II and Final Doom!
Why make these music packs?
The Roland SC-55 was the standard in the 90s for computer game soundtracks. It was the top of the line. The absolute best you could buy. Nearly every game supported it and preferred its many enhancements over the simple General MIDI standard. They not only supported it but most game soundtracks were composed with it and as a result their best gaming experiences were meant to be made with an SC-55. And now that I have an SC-55 myself I can share this experience with everyone else through the wonders of modern source ports with OGG music pack support! After doing Duke Nukem 3D I enjoyed the process so much that I decided to record the SC-55 soundtracks of bunch of other games for completeness' sake. And also in anticipation of newer game ports that will hopefully one day support these music packs. And so I am.
That's the short version. Click here for a longer and much more in-depth history of PC game music media.
How can I play these games with your music packs?
Most of the games I've made music packs for have modern ports that you can play on modern computers. Some of them support music packs like mine. They come in all sorts of shapes and flavours to suit any individual's needs. Here's a list of them. To install the music packs for each of these ports just unzip the archive into the game port folder.
= Natively supports music packs
Duke Nukem 3D
- EDuke32 - The best source port for Duke Nukem 3D
- Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition - Official release on Steam. Has two checkmarks because the Duke3D SC-55 V4.0 soundtrack is included already!!
- xDuke - A simple but very efficient port
- JFDuke3D - JonoF's port
- Duke3dw - ProASM's port
- Rancid Meat - Another great simple port
Rise of the Triad
- WinROTT & GLRott - Two source ports for Rise of the Triad
- DOSBox - Unfortunately, no source port exists as yet for Blood since the source code was never released. Your best bet is to use DOSBox which is an excellent DOS environment emulator. Furthermore, this also means that you cannot use any music packs with the game.
Descent I & II
- Dxx-Rebirth - Source ports for Descent I and II
- ZDoom - Popular source port for Doom. Supports OGG, FLAC, MP3, MOD, MID, SPC, and many more music formats.
- GZDoom - Identical to the above except for added OpenGL implementation.
- Doomsday Engine - Another highly popular source port with music pack support.
- EZDoom - Another port based on GZDoom with a simpler and easier interface. Just boot it up and go! Comes with shareware versions of Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife as well as the full version of FreeDoom.
- Chocolate Doom - Authentic port of Doom without any bells or whistles. The original 90s experience!
If you want to contact me to request a pack for your favourite game or Duke3D MOD you can email me at: shine62 AT gmail DOT com.